Sunday, January 24, 2016

Sometimes We Just Need God

When I was young, our family would take regular vacations, usually out west from our home in Northern Minnesota. Out west was where my older brothers lived. We loved visiting them in Provo, Utah where they were going to school at BYU.

It's a long drive from Minnesota to Utah. On that long drive we would listen to all the great LDS cassettes of the late 1970s- 1980s era.  My favorite was Saturdays Warriors. (We saw the original cast live in DC way back when), but my second favorite was My Turn on Earth. It has a lot of spunky songs that are fun to sing to, but one in particular is rather melancholy :  "Where on Earth Can I Find Heaven"  It's about the main character Barbara longing for her heavenly home.  The last line states..."where on earth can I find heaven? Find it and stay" 

It is kind of sad if you think about it! I remember closing my eyes and singing that song, and being filled with all kinds of melancholy feelings of my heavenly home and life. Not that I didn't have a wonderful family...I was raised with 6 brothers, so that might explain things.

But sometimes we just need God.  We just need Him. We wish He wasn't so far away, and so physically unreachable. We have prayer, and scriptures, and the Holy Ghost. Sometimes I just want to BE with God for a visit.

In Doctrine and Covenants in teaches us that we can all progress in righteousness to the point that we can be worthy enough to see the face of God.

President Spencer W. Kimball,  said: “I have learned that where there is a prayerful heart, a hungering after righteousness, a forsaking of sins, and obedience to the commandments of God, the Lord pours out more and more light until there is finally power to pierce the heavenly veil. ... A person of such righteousness has the priceless promise that one day he shall see the Lord’s face and know that he is.”

Do you really know that is true?

Are the heavens closed?

We know they are open. Adam and Eve walked and talked with God. Many early prophets saw Jesus Christ, and had frequent angel visits. Joseph Smith saw God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ.
lds.org

Who else has seen God?

The Heavens are open! We have 15 men we sustain as prophets, seers, and revelators whose primary mission is to be living witnesses of Jesus Christ. T hey do not talk about visions they may or may not have had, but if you listen to their testimonies, you can know.

During the days of Kirtland, sometimes referred to as the Pentecostal Days of the Church, God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ appeared to many.


I believe if they appeared in the early days of the  world, and the early days of the church, then they can and probably do appear now.



I want to progress in righteousness to the point that I can feel and see God.  It would be a great feeling to walk and talk with Him again.
lds.org