Friday, January 2, 2015

Not Shrinking



I love this scripture of the Savior's Atonement:

 " For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent;

“But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I;
“Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink-

“Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men "


I love the part about not shrinking.

Shrinking refers to shrinking spiritually and becoming less when we have an opportunity to become more, because of our trials. 

Elder Neil A. Maxwell ( truly one of the great men to have ever lived), spoke of not shrinking when he was plagued with cancer which eventually took his life.  He said the "not shrinking was better than surviving" 

So I am surmising that surviving a trial with all of spiritual faith in tact, is more important than surviving it physically, and losing our faith or becoming bitter because of our pain.

This whole not shrinking is better than surviving, gives me great faith.

Elder David A. Bednar (another great man) gave a great CES Devotional Talk called
"That We Might Not... Shrink"