Thursday, February 27, 2014

Building Fortifications: The Power of a Mother Who STUDIES SCRIPTURE



My first introduction to the scriptures came when I was in grade school. For Family Home Evening many times we would find our favorite scripture and share what it meant to us.  The only scripture I remember sharing back then was
1 Corinthians 10:13  There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
I still love that power-packed scripture which testifies of deliverance and hope.  The experience of sharing favorite scriptures introduced me to the books I have come to love today.

A few years later, I decided I wanted to be able to read the scriptures more, and began reading them on my own although I understood really nothing.  That really didn't matter to me, because what happened was, I FELT a power of the Spirit enter my everyday life.  THAT  kept me reading although I didn't understand a lot of the storyline.

A scripture that changed my life

A few years later, I was a seminary student and I was part of a consecutive club to see how many days in a row we could read the scriptures.  A powerful scripture became a part of my life back then, that still governs my life today is:

Matthew 6:33   But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

I put this scripture to the test as a high school student to see if I really did put the Lord first, if He really would bless me.  Every morning I would read my scriptures as part of my morning routine. I wanted to know if I put the Lord first in my day, if "all these things would be added unto me". 

Would He bless me?
Would I notice a difference?

  I became aware of  a power  that was directly related to my scripture study. When I read my scriptures my day went well. It was as simple as that.   I did well in school, I was happy, I was directed by the Spirit, etc. The Lord did bless me, and  I did notice a difference. 

 I still live by this today because I learned of it's impact and truth way back then.

Young Motherhood and becoming "too busy"

When I became a young mother and had many demands on me, I knew the power of scripture, but let it slip.  If the Lord isn't first in our lives, HE becomes last.  I reached the low point when the Lord became last. 

I had some great excuses!  I had 4 children at this time and they were all really little. I had a 3 yr. old, a 2 yr. old, and newborn twins.  I was constantly running in million directions...around the clock. Even in the middle of the night! I was SO overwhelmed, and just getting through each day seemed like a great event.   I wanted to read my scriptures,  but was really struggling with fitting it in. I just didn't seem to have time for it.  Here is the secret:  You don't ever find the time to " fit it in" when it comes to scripture reading.  You have to "make the time", and you  make the choice to read your scriptures. 

When I did, it was just like the scripture tells us in Mosiah 2:24 ..., he doth immediately bless you;
The Lord immediately blessed me, and that which seemed overwhelming and almost impossible, became easy and joyful.  

Creating a habit

One of the best things you can literally do is to create a habit and routine in your life as the mother, of readying and studying your scriptures.  You will be a better mother. You will be happier. You will have the spirit as your companion. 

Find a time, that works for you, but also a time, when your children  see you reading, so they know that their mother reads the scriptures. It will make a difference in their lives.  That will teach them more about the importance of reading, than any lecture you could give them.

One of my daughters was asked to speak in Sacrament Meeting as part of the graduating high school students in our ward.  She was talking about the power of the scriptures in her life, and she mentioned that what helped her to read her scriptures was to see her mom up early in the morning reading her scriptures.    I honestly didn't even know she noticed.  Beside making me want to cry! That made me realize the impact that  my habits can have in the home. 

There is power and influence in motherhood!



Here is a great talk by Julie B. Beck  My Soul Delighteth in the Scriptures where she compares the  habit of scripture study with learning how to make rolls, and how the aroma of the rolls fills her house, much like the spirit fills her home when she reads the scriptures.  ENJOY!



Spiritual Fortification Series:

Strong Families
Building Fortifications for our Families