Wednesday, April 10, 2013

From My Head and My Heart



Several months ago, back in December to be exact, I wrote a blog post I had been creating in my mind for a long time.  The topic was Temples are Not Castles which I originally titled "Why I Love the Temple".

The idea behind this post comes from a popular quote that has been passed around Face book and Pinterest:


"If this isn't your castle, then you're not my prince" which was a caption under a picture of the temple.


Due to Pinterest this post has had over 650 views and several comments.Not everyone has felt the way I do, which is fine.  I appreciate everyones input.    But to not be misunderstood...I want to readdress this topic.

 If you know me, you know I have strong feelings about the importance of temples, after all the temple is my home-away-from-home. I work there, and love my job. It is a treasure to me, and I feel so blessed to be on the front-lines so to speak of temple work in our area. 

This quote is not a Church approved quote. It is just something someone came up with and has been used and taken by mainly the young women.  I don't have a HUGE problem with it,because I know what it is meaning: our young women are saying "I will not settle for anything less than a temple marriage.  That if you want me, it will be in the temple. " I get that. And love that.  What our new General Young Women's President, Bonnie Oscarson, what Elaine Dalton wants,  what the Lord wants, and what I want...are the same: to see our daughters live worthily, receive the ordinances and covenants of the temple, and return back to live with their Heavenly Father.

 But in teaching my daughters I want them to understand the difference between a castle and a temple. 

It has become a teaching point more than anything, and I don't shrink back from what I feel or what I said.  A temple is not a castle, and our daughters and young women need to know that a temple is not just a dreamy, pretty place. It is a place where we go to make and keep sacred covenants

 I know that may be technical for some, but it is a clarification I want my daughters to understand.

In the Young Women theme, the young women recite these words:

We are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him. We will “stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places” (Mosiah 18:9) as we strive to live the Young Women values, which are:

Faith • Divine Nature • Individual Worth • Knowledge • Choice and Accountability • Good Works • Integrity • and Virtue
 
We believe as we come to accept and act upon these values, we will be prepared to strengthen home and family, make and keep sacred covenants, receive the ordinances of the temple, and enjoy the blessings of exaltation.
 
The young women of this generation feel this strongly.  They are prepared and preparing to be righteous mothers, wives, and to receive the ordinances of the temple.






My twin daughters just returned from a trip to London, England where they were able to tour a castle.
~A real castle~


These are all different views of Windsor Castle
It so BIG and so amazing.

 
So...What are castles used for?
  • They house Royalty
  • Important business is conducted there
  • Important documents are kept there
  • Castles protect people, during times of war people would go there for safety
 
Can you see where I am going with this?
Does that sound like what a temple is?

In my mind, a castle is just a counterfeit temple.
 
 

Amazing as castles are....and as dreamy as they can be....they can never be  a TEMPLE. 
They are not the same thing. 
 
Let's teach our daughters and young women that a temple is MUCH MUCH MORE
than a castle!



 
Temples are magnificent, breathtaking, dedicated,
holy Houses of God where the Spirit of our Heavenly Father is felt and is present, and where the power of the Priesthood presides and binds families together forever.
 

They house the Royalty--Us!

Important business is conducted here--
the business of sealing family together for time and all eternity
As well as important documents stored

TEMPLES can SAVE people ~eternally~ and
provide spiritual protection today
 
 
 
I hope all young women prepare themselves to be married for time and all eternity,
to make and keep sacred covenants in a
 TEMPLE of God