Saturday, March 9, 2013

Power in Courage

Me, facing a fear


This picture is of me at the challenge course at the Heber Valley Girls Camp
and I was scared to death!

Each of the challenge coarses at Heber teach  a spiritual lesson. On this particular course, I learned how dependent we are upon the Lord for everything. Faith is the rope we hold on to which strengthens our courage and helps us to accomplish what we didn't think we could.  The people nearby and far away encouraging and cheering you on, represent the Savior who cheers us on and just wants us to keep moving forward in faith trusting in Him. 
 He will take us to places we didn't think we could go.


 

I am finishing up the last point from an outstanding Women's Conference we had here in our area.  I previously shared my notes from this conference in Power in Faith and Live "As If", both GREAT concepts taught by Laurel Christensen, our speaker.  Today I am writing about Power in Courage.

Laurel shared with us in a humorous way her journey to become a runner.   I don't know if she has become a die-hard runner, but it was funny listening to her tell the story. It was a story that we all can relate to I think as we all have this shared goal of wanting to lose weight, don't we?!

She shared with us her inner struggles on this journey about literally being afraid of succeeding. The concept that we are  more afraid of succeeding than failing, resonated with me.  I feel personally, that many times, yes, I am more afraid of being awesome than being mediocre.  Maybe the success is the unknown and we are all very comfortable with  the mediocre. For me, many times it seems just when I start to succeed and do well, something inside me says "that is enough for right now" and I go back to my old ways.  So frustrating!!  I completely related to this part of her talk.

Laurel talked about an experience she had on her treadmill with a trainer she had hired to help her train for a half marathon.   My first thought was, "you have a trainer?! How would that be!" 

As Laurel got on the treadmill and was about to begin her training to "become a runner", her trainer asked her specifically, "What are you running towards?"  Meaning, what is motivating you for change?  What or who do you want to be?  What is your vision of your future self? "   Laurel mentioned that she did not know at all.  She didn't know what she was running towards.

For those of us who have watched the TV show, The Biggest Loser, we know it isn't just about the weight. There is usually a long-term issue that they are trying to overcome which is WHY they have a weight problem.

Laurel's trainer then taught her something which I thought was really profound:  You are always running TOWARDS something (your goal or vision of who you want to become) away FROM something (your fears, anger, hurt, pain, etc)

This was powerful to me. It made me ask myself, "are you running towards something or away from something?"

After a few runs, Laurel then saw who she was running towards. She saw who was in front of her-- stopping her from succeeding. It was  herself, but not the part of her that she liked or wanted to see.
It was the part of her she didn't like.  Her anger, her fears, the person that caused her all of her grief and why she was standing on the treadmill to start with.   Her trainer then told her to keep running until that person you are fearing takes their rightful place BEHIND you.  (awesome thought) 

This was about  facing our biggest obstacles in life with true courage and becoming in the process who the Lord intended us to be.  Just like my experience on the high challenge course, we can't do this alone. We need the Savior!  We truly don't rely on Him as we should. Too much of it we try to shoulder on our own. We think if we have enough grit and sheer will power we can do anything. 
 

Doctrine and Covenants 6: 33-37

"Fear not to do good...Fear not little flock, but look unto Me in every thought.  Doubt Not--Fear Not."
 
Then in verse 37  the section interesingly ends with reference to the Atonement as a reminder that the Savior knows. He get it. He understands.



 

 
 "Behold the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet; be faithful, keep my commandments, and ye shall inherit the kingdom of heaven."
 
What kind of fears did the Children of Israel face when they stood at the shores of the Red Sea and the Egyptians were coming up on them. They had to exerise great courage in the Lord that He was in charge and He would protect them.

Exodus 14:14

"Fear ye not, and stand still. The Lord shall fight for you"

I loved that thought, the Lord will fight our battles for us.

Do we let Him? Do we believe He can? Do we believe He will?

Their is definitely a power in exercising courage and faith in the Lord.  We must believe He wants to. We must lay our will on the alter, let go of our fears, and  put our hand in His. 
 
He will lead us.
 
He will fight our battles for us.
 
There are things in our lives waiting for us.  Trust that He wants more for us than even we want for ourselves.