Monday, February 4, 2013

Being Chosen and Favored of the Lord

lds.org



I want to share a few thoughts with you via the scriptures: 



There are many called, but few are chosen.
And why are they not chosen?


 Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men,
that they do not learn this one lesson—
 
 The powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.
(Doctrine and Covenants 121:34-36)
 
 
 
Here is the principle: Blessings from heaven in whatever we are engaged in or doing are based on our righteousness, faith, and obedience to God.  It is that simple and that true.
 
 
 
Another one along those same lines
 
 
 
 I  Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.
                                                                                                              (I Nephi 1:1)
 
Being highly favored of the Lord goes right along with being one of the 'few are chosen' mentioned above.
 
I have to say, the wordings of these scriptures used to  bother me. Being highly favored or the few chosen felt elite and excluding, I wondered where  I fit in? 
 
Throughout the years, I think there have been other quiet little pity-parties going on.  Laman and Lemuel from the Book of Mormon had plenty of those.
 
On one of the many occasions between Nephi seeing, understanding, teaching AND Laman and Lemuel NOT, Nephi tries to help his brothers.
 
 He asks them:
 Have ye inquired of the Lord?
 
Their answer was the classic escape route answer for someone who wants everything but doesn't want to go to the work to get it. They said:
 
We have not; for the Lord maketh no such thing known unto us.
 

Then Nephi makes a classic connection:

They being hard in their hearts, therefore they did not look unto the Lord as they ought. 
(I Nephi 15)
 
When any of God's children are  chosen or favored it is because of this one principle:
 
 
The powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.
 
 
The Lord does not have favorites or specially picked out chosen ones.  He is a loving Father in heaven who waits on us to make the right choices. 
 
 
We choose to be favored of the Lord. We choose to be part of the elite group of 'many are called, but few are chosen'   by our ACTS and our OBEDIENCE and our RIGHTEOUSNESS.
 
 

Nephi learned it and so can we.