Monday, November 26, 2012

Marriage and The First Great Commandment


With the one you love

 
I am on a tangent.
 
 I wrote about marriage in a previous post after hearing some very sad news of a family I never thought would ever break-up.  In my heart, I am hoping the problems they are having are just a "pause" in their lives and they will beable to fix their problems and come back together where they belong.
 
I am hoping.
 
This has caused me to look deep at my own marriage and my own choices.
 
Every tragic family break-up can be traced back to small choices. 
Choices made after giving in or letting go for a small moment. 
They let their thoughts go in a direction they had no place going. 
And they fed them and fed them and fed them, until a choice was made.
 They lost focus of  what is important and stepped  off the road temporarily
of where they needed to be.
 
How do we stay focused on having a convenant strong marriage,  and making sure divorce or infidelity doesn't happen in our family?  To our marriage, and to our children? 
  Sometimes we have no control of it happening.
 
For you who are experienceing this right now, or have, my heart goes out to you!  Truly!  
 I can't think of anything more gut-wrenching  or painful to go through.
 
If our marriages are good, everything is good in the world.  Simple, but  true!
 
Marriage is ordained of God, and it can be the source of our greatest joy and greatest happiness in life.
 
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland gave a great great talk this past conference.
 
This is a talk that is so amazing and so powerful, you really need to LISTEN to Elder Holland give it.  The way he says it is so much better than just reading the words on paper.
 
He makes so many points that are worth reading, studying, pondering...it is on my must do list this week: "



 
 
I loved this part of the talk:
Jesus said to His senior Apostle, “Peter, do you love me more than you love all this?” Peter said, “Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee.”

The Savior responds to that reply but continues to look into the eyes of His disciple and says again, “Peter, do you love me?” Undoubtedly confused a bit by the repetition of the question, the great fisherman answers a second time, “Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee.”
 
The Savior again gives a brief response, but with relentless scrutiny He asks for the third time, “Peter, do- you- love- ME?” By now surely Peter is feeling truly uncomfortable. Perhaps there is in his heart the memory of only a few days earlier when he had been asked another question three times and he had answered equally emphatically—but in the negative. Or perhaps he began to wonder if he misunderstood the Master Teacher’s question. Or perhaps he was searching his heart, seeking honest confirmation of the answer he had given so readily, almost automatically. Whatever his feelings, Peter said for the third time, “Lord, … thou knowest that I love thee.”
 
To which Jesus responded (and here again I acknowledge my nonscriptural elaboration), perhaps saying something like: “Then Peter, why are you here? Why are we back on this same shore, by these same nets, having this same conversation 
Wasn’t it obvious then and isn’t it obvious now that if I want fish, I can get fish? What I need, Peter, are disciples—and I need them forever. I need someone to feed my sheep and save my lambs. I need someone to preach  my gospel and defend my faith. I need someone who loves me, truly, truly loves me, and loves what our Father in Heaven has commissioned me to do.
 
Ours is not a feeble message. It is not a fleeting task. It is not hapless; it is not hopeless; it is not to be consigned to the ash heap of history. It is the work of Almighty God, and it is to change the world.  
So, Peter, for the second and presumably the last time, I am asking you to leave all this and to go teach and testify, labor and serve loyally until the day in which they will do to you exactly what they did to me.”
 
________________________
 
Do we love the Lord? 
"Do- you- love- ME"
 
Are we willing to give up all our weakness, addictions, hobbies that take us from Him,
 and whatever it may be...to be where He is and to follow Him?
 "Do you love me more than you love all this?"
 
 
Elder Holland continues:
"God does not ask us exactly what Christ asked Peter: “Did you love me?” I think He will want to know if in our very mortal, very inadequate, and sometimes childish grasp of things, did we at least understand one commandment, the first and greatest commandment of them all—

“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind.”

And if at such a moment we can stammer out, “Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee,” then He may remind us that the crowning characteristic of love is always loyalty.
 
“If ye love me, keep my commandments."



My list:  
* Listen to Elder Hollands talk: read it, study it and ponder it.