Last night was our 3rd Annual Clothing Exchange Night. This was a joint Young Womens activity. The first one was our idea and the last two we have done per request from the mothers in our ward.
There are many successful ways to organize this, here is how we did it:
- Get your ward involved: A few months or weeks before the activity announce in Relief Society and Primary as well as Young Womens, that we need clothes for this activity. Everyone can start going through their closets and saving it for us instead of sending it to Deseret Industries or having a garage sale.
- Where to do it? The Young Womens room at church is big enough for this activity.
- Use clothing racks to hang your clothing: This makes it really nice for the young women to find clothes they want instead of it being in a pile on a table or the floor. We also used the church's long tables to fold up jeans according to sizes, display shoes, jewelry, and other random object people brought. The wooden racks we used to hang t-shirts, pajama pants, etc. We had about 4-5 metal clothing racks where we hung nicer shirts, dresses, skirts, and jackets.
- Large mirrors are nice for the young women to see themselves.
- Plastic shopping bags for them to put their clothes in.
- All left over clothing goes to Deseret Industries.
This is an activity that everyone loves! Young Women from all different backgrounds and tastes in clothing, find something to take home.