Wednesday, August 1, 2012

What Does it Take to Be a Mother?

The little spec of humanity is our 6th daughter. 
I love this picture!  Our daughters, future mothers themselves,
 could hardly stand the joy of having a new sister.
 I love the Family Proclamation and all that it reaffirms, stands for, and the questions it answers! 

The world is saying one thing, and the Proclamation is there to testify what God says.

One of those truths that I love the most from the proclamation is this verse:

"The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife."
What was the very first commandment God gave?  To have children!

Because we are now in the 21st Century, is there still a need to have children?  Yep there is!

The commandment to have children has never been rescinded, although you might hear different from those around you.

People put off or don't have children for a miriad of reasons:
  • We don't have enough money
  • Our car is too small
  • Our house is to small
  • I want to get my schooling done
  • etc...
 Having children is a faith based principle. 


We have been blessed with 8 children, and  it hasn't always been easy or all fun.  Having children is a commandment and there is a lot of sacrifice and faith involved everyday. My husband and I have spent a lot of time in prayer along the way in trying to live this commandment.  For us, it was having the faith to have children when we knew our bodies were fully capable of that happening.  For others, their faith might be on a different point.  Some bodies have so many complications or other family circumstances...their faith on this very delicate subject is different than mine.  It is so hard not to compare and judge from our perspective.  But let's not ever do that!  You never know what someone else is going through!

  Having a large family we have also  had our fair share of "comments" from those around us, as you can only imagine! Having eight daughters  is always a conversation piece, and we have learned to enjoy it.
_____________________________________________________________________
When we were expecting our first daughter the comments were, "already???"  You haven't even been married a year! 

When we were expecting our second daughter the comments were, "how far apart are they??!!  Well...you are going to have your hands full!" ( I could be a multi-millionaire for every time I have heard that phrase directed at me "well...you have your hands full!"  Which I did and still do and am happy about it. )

When our twins were born, I did have my hands very full..literally! I think back to those days and wonder how I managed two newborns and two toddlers.   After church one Sunday an older lady came up to us and commented..."the Lord commanded us to multiply and replenish, but He didn't mean just YOU!"  In her defense, I am sure we were a circus show during Sacrament Meeting.

Many times others would ask us..."so you are done.... right??!"  Our come-back line was to tell them our youngest at that time was the middle child...we were only half way there!  That always made their eyes pop!

We chose to have eight children because I always wanted a large family.   Truth be told, I wanted to make sure I had all of our children here.  We thought we were "done" several times along the way only to find our we weren't  "all here"  Maybe some of you can relate to that impression and have also experienced tht feeling.   We weren't "trying for a boy"  (I could get rich off of that comment too!)  I was blessed and had no problem getting pregnant, staying pregnant, or being pregnant.  I loved the whole journey and love the place I am at right now.  

 
My heart goes out to all women who struggle to have children.  My heart aches for you.  I just want to put my arms around you and comfort you and let you know the Lord will make all things right with you. I know that doesn't cover your loss or pain, but I testify that it is true.

My heart also goes out to those mothers who struggle with wayward children. The Lord is aware of you and your children.  He will not forget you.

Being a woman and being a mother is not for wimps.  I look back on my journey so far and wonder from time to time HOW I managed and how I did it?  I am sure many of you have felt the same for your own circumstances.

 The answer is, we don't do it alone.  We can't!  Whether or not we can see or hear the help, it is there. 


What does it take to be a mother?  Willingness and faith.  Motherhood is a faith-based work