Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Judging Not


As my teenage daughters would say: "that awkward moment when you have spent way too much time judging some one else, only to realize you are the one with the problem"
 
Oh! Man! I hate that!!
 
 
Here is the scripture we all know, and the one probably running through your mind right now: 

Matthew 7:1aJudge not, that ye be not bjudged.
2 For with what ajudgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what bmeasure ye mete, it shall be cmeasured to you again.
3 aAnd why beholdest thou the bmote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the cbeam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?


I would guess that most of us, if not all of us, have been on the receiving end of being judged, gossiped about, looked down upon, or mis-treated in some way, as well as doing a little bit of it ourselves.   
Why not judge?  Why not say what is true, or what we deem correct, about someone else? Isn't there an element of fun and entertainment associated with gossip and judging others? After all, it makes us feel GREAT about ourselves, right??! [insert sarcasm] Actually that is only an illusion.

 Four reasons WHY you should never judge someone else:

1) You are violating a direct commandment to not judge or  bear false witness against your neighbor
2) You probably don't have all the facts
3) Things aren't always what they seem
4) With that same judgement-YOU will be judged. 



You still want to anyway?  Here is a personal inside story shown only to illustrate a point.
After I had my 8th daughter, my brain just wasn't right.  The hormones were having a hard time finding their proper place.  I was going through post-partum depression, and could barely get through each day. The simple routines of life felt like a mountain I had to climb.

 Life was completely overwhelming.  I  asked to be released from my church calling..(which I have never done, and haven't done since)  because  my brain wasn't with me...at all...and my spirit seemed to have checkout out as well. I did not feel like my normal self and after 3 months of it, I wondered when my normal self would return. 
However, I went to church each Sunday, where our family sat on the 2nd or 3rd row, our normal place.  Unknown  to us, we had "the- look".  What look?  The perfect family look. The perfectly reverent children look. The how does she do it look. The 'her husband is this, and she is that, and they ,  etc. etc. etc.  Or so it seemed to others.


 I think they all secretly wanted to throw-up on me.
Caught up in my own survival struggles, I was completely unaware of the thoughts and feelings swirling around about me.  It was really great not knowing anything.  Ignorance has its own bliss.
Eventually information started trickling down to me, as this kind of stuff does.  I was completely blind-sided that I had given that impression, as pathetic as I felt inside.  My only thoughts were," if they only knew how much I struggle to just get through each day!"  Things are NOT what they seem.  People may not be what they seem. 

Please don't judge others!  Everyone is fighting a battle which we may not know about.

We all need the Savior, His Atonement, and His saving grace in our lives.  Life is just too hard without it. 


It reminds me of a line from one of our church hymns..."in the quiet heart is hidden, sorrow that the eye can't see"  So before you judge, or think low of someone else, remember there may be information about them that you are unaware of.  Maybe this is the day, they need a hug, a hello, a how are you today?
 
Must read talk by President Uchtodorf: The Merciful Obtain Mercy