How does this even start, where does it begin? Sadly, most of them are introduced to pornography through some "adult" or peer.
What's the big deal? They're just pictures right? Studies have shown that pornography is as addicting as heroin. That right there, lets you know how strong the addiction is and how it can destroy your brain like drugs can.
WARNING: Stay away from it and do everything in your power to protect your family.
Pornography actually scares me and angers me both at the same time. It is so strong and so evil and so enticing. Men are visual, so pornography is a killer for them. They have to stay away from it and treat it as the destroying evil that it is.
It's my life and I can do whatever I want to with it. This is only effecting me.
Many of the victims of pornography are wives and children. Having a family member addicted to pornography is painful for the whole family and greatly effects the children's perception of themselves and life. Worst case scenario: they may mimic this behavior in their own lives-repeating the cycle of addiction.
Wives suffer greatly.Their pain is gut-wrenching. Many do not recognize the signs or are unaware that their own husbands have this addiction. They may go years before realizing he has a problem.
The men do a crafty job of keeping it a secret, assuming of coarse, that they will be able to beat it on their own. However, for most, they can't. It is just too powerful.
I don't mean to leave out the men, who are the usual ones with this addiction, because they suffer too. Deep inside, many of them desperately want to be freed from this bondage. But they don't know how. They feel helpless, and it looks hopeless. It is embarrassing to admit and to seek help for. That is why the secret many times goes on for so long and becomes so deep. Each day they listen to the lie that they can overcome it and today is the last day they are going to view pornography.
These marriages suffer from a lack of pure intimacy. Pornography greatly effects this part of marriage. Being married doesn't stop a pornography addiction. It can skew the thinking and judgement of the person who is addicted. They become distracted with virtual images that they have filled their minds with . In some cases it leads to extra-marital affairs or other sins.
My heart breaks for several friends whose lives are personally effected by the evils of pornography and have not been able to keep their marriages intact in spite of putting forth their strongest best efforts.
There is a great resource out there: Out in the Light , a website devoted to women fighting against pornography. It is LDS based.
So in my fantasy world I like to think....what if there was no such thing as pornography???
Can you imagine that world?
- A world where there was not this lurking evil waiting and ready to grab our husbands and sons and daughters. The new pornography target is young women...so women we are not immune either.
- A world where you could go to South American or European nations, and probably a myriad of others, and you wouldn't be flooded with pictures of top-less women. Because pornography doesnt' exist.
- A world where the girls and young women wouldn't be dressing immodestly thinking they were impressing the young men. They wouldn't have a reason to, because pornography doesn't exist.
- A world where sexual relations and marital intimacy is put in the perspective and light where it belongs...as a sacred holy sacrament saved for the bonds of marriage to be employed only between a man and a woman who are married and honor their marital vows with complete fidelity.
- A world where they don't use sex to sell magazines, soft drinks, bath soap, chocolate, movie ratings, clothing, and everything else...because pornography doesn't exist.
- A world where we can watch a movie and get on the Internet and not worry about what we might see accidentally.
Be aware of what is going on in your own house when neighbor friends are over and follow your instincts!
We must protect our families and keep this evil out of our homes and out of our lives.
"Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children."
"The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ."
"WE WARN that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets."