Chore Charts

I could seriously write a book on all the different chore charts we have used in our house over the years. 

When my oldest ones were little bitty and couldn't read yet, I came up with their first chore chart that involved pictures of each job.

Then we had the circle/dial chore chart which we used the most, which I would show a picture of except we no longer own one.  You cut two circles-one larger than the other.  Secure it with a brass brad so it will spin.  On the outside is the chores and the inside the name of your children and divide the circle up like a pizza.  It works great and the kids like spinning it around each day to the next job.


For a Young Women's project one of my daughter's  made another family chore chart...

The front row is "To Do" & the back row is  "Done" 



It seems all the chore charts are as effective as I am at reminding them to look at it.  They younger ones seem more motivated than the older ones.  That is probably just because the older ones have been hearing me longer...'don't forget to do your job'  I am now slightly tuned out...

Although when they were younger and I was training them on "how" to clean, I painstakingly went through each job, each day, so they would know what I expected in a clean bathroom, clean bedroom, etc.

It was hard and exhausting...but now I am glad I went through that work, because now they are pretty much trained...and they know what I expect.  Not that they always do it that way...but they do know and every once in a while I see the fruits of my labors.

I have to say, the best chore chart we have used has been the POINT SYSTEM.  This chart requires less of me harping and reminding and more of them taking personal responsibility.  It is a WIN/WIN.

I did not create this, but have since lost track of where I learned this from.  It is a great idea, and many have had great success with it.

It is a system of work=reward.  It is up to them what rewards they get based on their work.  It is real life at home.  You can use it for house-hold chores ...and behavior.  I told you it was a WIN/WIN!

  • Make up a list of your child's responsibilities...and behavior problems that may have become an issue.
  •  Assign each responsibility and behavior points/more points for the hardest ones
  • Make a list of rewards from daily ones like playing with a friend, screen time, special snack...
  • Add some long range rewards like a trip to the Rec Center, pizza party with friends, Disney Land...etc. Whatever is motivating for your child
Now they don't have to beg you to play with a friend, or get on the computer..etc.  All you have to say is "do you have enough points?"  The rest is up to them. 

They earn their privileges.  They are in control...and they like that!

  • Be creative according to your family's needs and personality
  • I use this mainly for the 12 and under, although it would work for any age


Here is an example of one I have made for my 8 year old
                                                                        
List
Points possible
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Total for week

Homework
2








Read -30 minutes
5








Math Facts
1


















Make Bed
2








Laundry put away
1








Closet clean
1








Dresser clean
1








Floor clean
1









Daily job
2








Book of Mormon-5 verses
1








Morning prayers
1








Bedtime prayers
1


















Piano 10 minutes
2


















Extra credit points









TOTAL POINTS
20


















Rewards









Play with friends
10








Screen Time
10








Pizza/Ice cream party
300








Rec Center
500













1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing!! I'm going to copy your point chart!

    ReplyDelete